NEW YORK FASHION WEEK 2015

New York Fashion Week (NYFW) is held every year in September and February. It's a semi-annual series of events showcasing fashion collections to buyers, the press, celebrities, and the general public. You probably already know this, but New York Fashion Week is almost every blogger's favorite event. The city is filled with celebrities, photographers and all types of street style(hectic but I love it). 

I could write a novel on what NYFW was like but that would take a while. So, instead, I'll summarize it all on this post for you. 

First, here's the general breakdown of what  PRE-NYFW is like:

1) There's a schedule that gets posted about a week before the event starts. Along with this schedule, the invites to the general public start to get sent out or emailed. 
2) Once you have your invites, you make your own personal schedule. There are shows every day from approximately 8am-11pm so you can't see them all, you have to pick and choose.
3) After you've made your own "timetable", comes the hard part. Choosing your outfits. I probably spent 2-3 hours everyday figuring what top to wear, makeup style to do, etc. You want to stand out, get photographed on the street and stay within the theme of the shows you're going too. For example : the Barcelona-based brand Desigual is known for its bright colors and prints so for that show, I decided to complete my look with a printed blazer:



(Top by American Apparel, Culottes by H&M, Shoes by Zara, Bag by Céline, Blazer by Indigo)

Next, NYFW: The General Patterns:

1) Ok, so once you're all set, you proceed to go to your shows.
2) Usually, the audience arrives 30-45 minutes the shows start. This is because at the entrances of the given venue, there are usually a lot of photographers who try and capture everyone's looks (ranging from bloggers, celebrities to the general public). My friend and I got photographed by Scott Brasher, it was pretty amazing! 



3) After all this pre-show hoorah, everyone goes inside the venue, gets seated and waits.
4) Designers during September usually debut their collections for next Spring. During the catwalk, individuals pay attention to the looks, snap pictures, or take notes.
5) The shows usually last 30 minutes. Once they are over, people either leave or stay to have a chat with the designer. 

This year's Fashion Week was probably my favorite one so far. I was lucky enough to be able to attend a number of shows and get a glimpse of what the upcoming designs will look like. I also met some great people in the fashion industry who gave me some useful tips. Most importantly, I loved NYFW because I got inspired. People really went all out with their outfits, and it gave me some great ideas for my next looks. This year's trends are promising, I can't wait to incorporate them into my daily outfits. 

I hope you enjoyed reading!

Stay tuned for my next post where I show you guys the best looks of NYFW(both on the street and the runway).

xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments