Primers & Foundations



Makeup is fun, makeup is art, makeup is amazing. But, in order to ensure a great canvas to create any look, you need good primers and foundations. 

I've been doing a lot of research, figuring out what works for me and not. With so many brands and products, it can be hard to figure out what to choose. No worries though, I made a list to make the process a little bit easier!


PRIMERS:

The purpose of primers is to minimize your pores, create a smooth base, and increase the longevity of your makeup(it makes a huge difference, believe me).

1) Primers for dry skin:

 Laura Mercier Hydrating Primer

 Marc Jacobs Coconut Primer

NYX Honey Dew Primer

 NYX Hydra Touch Primer

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

Smashbox Primer Water(note: this also works for oily skin!)

Smashbok Photo Finish Primer Oil

Elf Hydrating Primer

Makeup Forever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer

Too Faced Primed and Poreless Skin Smoothing Primer

MAC Radiance Primer

Maybelline Skin Primer


2) Primers for oily skin:
Benefit POREfessional Face Primer
Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer
Smashbox Primer Water
BECCA Matte Shine Proof Primer
BECCA Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
 Makeup Forever Step 1 - Mattifying Primer
NYX Studio Perfect Primer
Neutrogena Shine Control Primer
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm (this is a men's product but I know many people who use it as a primer because it has glycerin in it. I recommend experimenting with it first if you're not too sure).
Tarte Timeless Smoothing Primer
Cover FX Calming Primer
NARS Pro-Prime  Pro- Refining Primer - Oil Free

FOUNDATION
Foundation is used to cover-up blemishes and even your skin tone. It essentially gives you a blank canvas so you can apply blush, bronzer, and all of those other good stuff.  The product can either give you light, medium or full coverage(depending on what you like or how much you want to cover up). If you don't like foundation, you can also use concealers.
1) Foundations for dry skin:
Bare Minerals Bareskin Foundation
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation
Makeup Forever HD Stick Foundation
Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick
NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick
Urban Decay - Naked Skin Weightless  Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup
Too Faced Born This Way Foundation
Maybelline Fit Me Dewy Foundation
L'Oreal True Match
2) Foundations for oily skin:
Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation
Makeup Forever Matte Velvet Foundation
Makeup Forever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation
Estee Lauder Double WearFoundation
BECCA Matte Shine-Proof Foundation
Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless
Tarte Amazonian Clay  12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15Makeup Forever Matte Velvet*

Cover FX Natural Finish Oil-Free Foundation 
Clinique Stay Matte Foundation
MAC Pro Longwear Foundation
L'Oreal Pro-Matte Infaillible

WHAT I USE?
I have tried a lot of these products. It took some time but I finally found a couple that I like and give me great looks! I have oily skin so to prime my face, I alternate between the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, the Smashbox Primer Water and the Estée Lauder Perfecting Primer. I tend to use the primer water in the fall and winter, and the two others during spring and summer. 
As for foundation, the Estée Lauder Double-Wear and the Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless are my absolute favorites. I recently got a sample of the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo and I think I'm going to purchase it soon because it's a great product if you really want a full-coverage(which I really don't need but I'm extra so...haha!). 

Sorry about the length of the post, but I really wanted to make a nice list so that you can each find something that works, or maybe even try out a new item. I highly suggest getting samples before purchasing. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to comment! Some of these products can be found at Sephora, MAC or drugstores such as CVS, Shoppers(in Canada). Others can be found online at www.ulta.com or nyxcosmetics.com.

I hope this was useful!

xx

Penda

You Might Also Like

0 comments